The Citizen Gardner program provides low-cost, hands-on, organic, backyard vegetable gardening education and community. Goals of the DFW Citizen Gardener Program
- Introduce new people (and re-introduce experienced ones) to vegetable gardening with a set of techniques with proven sucess that balance time, resources, and effort. The techniques are to be specific to the growing conditions of the North Texas region.
- Provide students the skills, knowledge, and encouragement to "go home and do it".
- Build helpful community of local backyard gardeners.
- Create regenerative culture (healing and self-reliance).
- Grow healthy food where the people are.
- Healthy soil / Healthy food / Healthy people
- One good method of growing food in the North Texas Area
- Maintain a Self-Sustaining program
- Decentralized and 'Open' (can be duplicated by others)
- Create a surplus (of knowledge, resources, soil, good-will, and food)
- Cooperate and help with other local food programs, gardening groups, and businesses.