WHAT TO DO BEFORE A MOSQUITO SPRAYING
Posted by Pat Curry on our Facebook page:
The primary component in these sprays is usually a Permethrin compound or a related compound such as the following; Sumithrin, Prallethrin, allethrin, resmethrin, deltamethrin and lambda-cyhalothrin, Pyrethrins or 5% malathion. They may be spraying "duet", a mix of Sumithrin, Prallethrin.
These vary in degree of toxicity for people and animals, but all of them are highly toxic to something. Many of these compounds can be lethal to cats, fish, amphibians, reptiles, tadpoles, and gobs of beneficial insects. Cats exposed to the fresh sprays of Prallethrin, permethrin, allethrin or resmethrin, or concentrated dry areas, can get sick. Even a cat that rubs or licks a dog that has walked into the sprayed areas can become sick.
If ANYONE has bee hives, cover them; all of this stuff will do serious harm to your hive. Wash any nectar plants nearby immediately after a spray, and feed your bees something to keep them busy while the toxicity level drops from the spray.
When a spray is scheduled for your area; DO NOT let the animals out that night, and try to water in the spray that same evening or next day if possible before you let them out. Let it dry before releasing the animals. Sprays and applications of liquid or dry humate, activated charcoal, as well as molasses and compost will help break down and absorb the pesticide, making it safer for the pets to venture out. You can do this the evening BEFORE the spray as well if you want, that way the stuff is working before the spray hits. You will still need to wash it off of the plants and grass.
What about your veggies? Well, this stuff will absorb into them. The sprays mentioned above will help, but we would advise covering all plants that you plan to eat anytime soon with floating row cover, N-sulate fabric (usually used to protect from frost, but will help keep the pesticides off), old sheets, etc. Do not leave the heavy or winter covers on during the day in this heat, it might trap too much heat.
Make sure you wash the covers very well in a container outside, and let the runoff go to an area where the pesticide will do the least damage.
Make sure that you wash all vegetables and fruits before you eat them very well.
Take care everyone, we will make it through this, and I just hope it’s with our gardens, animals and livers intact.